Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ecclesiastes 4:9-11

A few weeks ago, Jake was house-sitting for a family friend. After a long night of wedding brainstorming I found myself stretched out on the family's oversized and overcomfied leather couch. My ice cubed feet were resting on Jake's lap where he had snugly tucked them under a heavy afghan. He had his Bible out and was reading me Song of Songs. My mind was an absolute train wreck with the clutter of prices and venues and shades of yellow, but I was quickly stunned with a surge of comfort and peace. At that moment I doubted there was anybody quite as lucky as me.
For my whole humble 21 years of life, I've been continually familiarized with the concept that as a female, when you get married, YOU (and a various collection of close fellow females) are responsible for the wedding plans. It's just what happens. The bride buys the magazines, makes the phone calls, books the vendors. The groom smiles, nods, and shows up (of course with a few exceptions here and there about details he actually cares about). Even post engagement, we got multiple sets of advice from married friends who told us to let me plan the wedding and Jake take care of the honeymoon stuff. I should have known Yeager would be an exception.
A couple days ago we met with our totally awesome photographer. We did the technical things like give our deposit and sign our contract. Then we started throwing out times, places, and ideas for our engagement pictures. It was not until I had been carelessly giving my ideas and answers for 3 minutes that I looked over and noticed my cute little fiance jotting down notes of everything being said. You see, our 'wedding bag' is located in Jake's room. It's filled with our 'wedding binder' that he organized himself (with the exception of me going with him to Walgreens to buy it) and wedding magazines that we have purchased, looked through, and dog-eared the pages of together. I have literally not made ONE decision without discussing and debating it with him.
That night on the leather couch listening to Song of Songs, I realized how thankful I am to have a partner...through EVERYTHING! From wedding plans to growing in faith, I can walk confidently knowing that somebody has my back. During that particular week there were so many times I suggested going to the courthouse and spending the rest of the money on a trip to Ireland. After a quick chuckle, Jake would assure me that everything was going to work out. I trusted him, and now here we are with all the big things out of the way! To be quite honest, for such a wedding nut, I couldn't have accomplished ONE thing without him (with the exception of picking out the most perfect gown on the planet).
Thank God for wedding planning fiances and strong spiritual leaders. Thank God that I have both of those and so much more in-between.

2 comments:

  1. your colors are yellow??? So were my mom's, 40 yrs ago. If i can, i'll scan some photos of it, yellow was pretty cool in the 70s. You are super lucky to have Jake as your fella. Paul picked out our wedding cake for our renewal, and he is pretty proud of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided
    us beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!


    Also visit my weblog :: Garcinia cambogia

    ReplyDelete